PRESSING ON 22TH JULY, 2018
SIXTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
1ST READING: Jeremiah 23: 1 – 6
I will gather the remnant of my flock and appoint shepherds for them.
RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Psalm 23: 1 – 6
The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
2nd READING: Ephesians 2: 13 – 18
Christ is our peace who made both one.
GOSPEL: Make 6: 30 – 34
They were like sheep without a shepherd.
READINGS FOR THE WEEK
Monday 23: Mic 6: 1 – 4, 6 – 8; Ps 49: 5 – 6, 8 – 9, 16 – 17, 21, 23; Mt 12: 38 – 42
Tuesday 24: Mic 7: 14 – 15, 18 – 20; Ps 84: 2 – 8; Mt 12: 46 – 50
Wednesday 25: 2Cor 4: 7 – 15; Ps 125: 1 – 6; Mt 20: 20 – 28
Thursday 26: Jer 2: 1 – 3, 7 – 8, 12 – 13; Ps 35: 6 – 11; Mt 13: 10 – 17
Friday 27: Jer 3: 14 – 17; Ps Jer 31: 10 – 13; Mt 13: 18 – 23
Saturday 28: Jer 7: 1 – 11; Ps 83: 3 – 6, 8, 11; Mt 13: 24 – 30
Sunday 29: 2Kgs 4: 42 – 44; Ps 144: 10 – 11, 15 – 18; Eph 4: 1 – 6; Jn 6: 1 – 15
BE A GOOD SHEPHERD
Today’s readings explain how God, like a Good Shepherd, redeems His people and provides for them. They also challenge us to use our God-given authority in the family, in the Church and in society, with fidelity and responsibility. Today’s “pastoral” ministry includes not only the pastoral care given by those named or ordained as “pastors” but the loving service given by many others who follow different callings to serve and lead others.
In the first reading (Jeremiah 23:1-6), the prophet Jeremiah (sixth century B.C.), thunders against Israel’s careless leaders – the king, some priests and some court prophets – because they have shown no concern for the poor. The prophet also foretells the rise of a good, new shepherd in the family line of David. Then he consoles the Israelites enslaved in Babylon, by assuring them that God will lead them back to their original pasture in Israel.
The second reading (Ephesians 2:13-18) introduces Jesus as the shepherd of both Jews and Gentiles and explains how Jesus, the good shepherd, reconciled all of us with His Father by offering himself on the cross. Paul also speaks about another reconciliation, that between the Jews and the Gentiles, brought about by Jesus who accepted both into the same Christian brotherhood.
The Gospel (Mark 6:30-34) presents Jesus as the good shepherd fulfilling God’s promise given through the prophet Jeremiah in the first reading. Here, we see Jesus attending to his weary apostles, who have just returned from their first preaching mission, while at the same time expressing His concern for the people who, like “sheep without a shepherd,” have gathered to meet
1. Offertory and Bidding Prayers
1st Mass – Young & Adult Ushers and 2nd Mass – St. Paul Choir
- Mid Year Revival: St. Paul Parish, Kpehe presents Mid Year Revival. Theme: “I came so that you may have life & have it to the full” John 10:10. Date: Wednesday 25th – Friday 27th July, 2018. Time: 6:00pm each night. Guess Speaker: Rev. Fr. Francis Sarpong In view of that masses will be in the morning.
- Baptism and 1st Communion class continues on Sunday, 22nd July, 2018 at 4:00pm
- Appeal for support: Parishioners are entreated to continue donating towards the health care of the two little boys suffering strike and cancer of the blood. All donations can be made to any of the Parish Priests, PPC executives or at the parish office.
- Admission: Admission into St. Paul R/C Kpehe Kindergarten and Class one for the 2018/2019 academic year is in progress. Interested Parents are to pick a form at the parish office
- St. John Optical Works: The St. John Optical Work from Nsawam will be at the Parish grounds on Sunday, 15th July, 2018 after Mass
- Catholic Archdiocese of Accra Television & Radio Programmes: Catholic
Digest on Amansan TV on Sundays 7:00am – 7:30am, GTV Saturdays 6:00am
– 6:30am, CRN Saturdays 9:30am – 10:00am, Obonu 96.5 Saturdays 6:30pm
– 7:00pm, Uniiq 95.7 FM Wednesdays 5:30am – 6:00am, Adom 106.3 FM
Sundays 9:00pm – 9:30pm, Obonu 96.5 Mondays 9:00pm – 9:30pm, Accra
100.5 FM Sundays 7:30pm – 8:00pm
- Feet Ministry Training: The next 42 weeks Major Evangelization Training programme of the FEET Ministry comes off at St. Paul Parish – Kpehe from 20th January to 16th December, 2018. Classes are held on Saturdays from 9:00am – 12:00pm and on Sundays from 9:30am – 3:00pm. The Fee is GH¢420.00 including Training Materials. Interested persons should please pick a form at the parish office at GH¢20.00
- Junior Abide in my word: A spiritual guide specially designed for children; includes, Readings for the mass, tells the child what to do, outline some difficult words, mass guide for children, everyday prayers and puzzles. Rate: GH¢ 3.00. Please contact Maxine for your copy.
- Accommodation: A parishioner is in need of a room. Areas are Newtown, Alajo, Kokomlemle, Pigfarm and its surroundings. Contact 0552529785
- A parishioner is in need of a job as a cleaner or house help. Anybody who can help should please contact Fr. Peter Hesse or the Parish Office
- Funeral arrangements for the late Mrs. Mary Asiedu Darko are as follows: Wake Keeping: Friday 27th July, 2018 at St Augustine Catholic Church, Tapa Abotoase. Burial Mass: Saturday 28th July, 2018 at St Augustine Catholic Church, Tapa Abotoase in the Volta Region. Thanksgiving Mass: Sunday 29th July, 2018 at St Augustine Catholic Church, Tapa Abotoase. She was the wife of Mr. Michael Asiedu – Darko
- The death is reported of Madam Mary Yao whose sadden event occurred on 30th April, 2018 at St Margaret Catholic Hospital, Kpando. Funeral arrangements will be communicated later.
125TH ANNIVERSARY PRAYER
O Almighty and Eternal God, Divine Architect and Cornerstone of our Salvation, as we celebrate 125 years of the Catholic Mission in Accra, we give you thanks for the lives of all the early Missionaries, Priests and Lay faithful whose sacrifices have brought our church this far.
We pray you to look with favor upon our Community of Faith, now the Catholic Archdiocese of Accra. Increase the gifts you have given to our Church so that we, your faithful People, Religious and Clergy, Women and Men, Youth and Children, may grow in holiness of life and be truly ardent disciples of Your Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Inspire us anew with a greater outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and fill us with renewed zeal for the universal Church’s New Evangelization mission here in our Archdiocese and beyond.
May the Holy and Triune God be our Pillar of strength, our inspiration and our guide in the years ahead!
Through Christ our Lord and Redeemer, Amen.
Immaculate Heart of Mary, Pray for us!
St. Peter Claver, pray for us!
St. Martin de Porres, pray for us!
All you Holy Martyrs of Uganda, pray for us!
All you Angels and Saints of God pray for us!